People believe that prevention is better than cure. When it comes to pests, the saying applies even more. Pests cause a lot of damage when left to infest their property. Termites are known to be destructive when it comes to property especially wood. Termites are pests that take advantage of any environment that is conducive for their sustenance.
Termites, like any pests, will linger in a place that provides food, shelter, and water. Most structures have wood that termites eat. If left in the building, it will damage the structure of the building making it unsafe. Instead of waiting until your place is fully infested with termites, you should practice different ways to prevent them from coming. These means include:
- Since termites are attracted to moisture, you should ensure that moisture does not accumulate in the interior and exterior of your home.
- Do not sprinkle wood siding on your lawn while watering it.
- Ensure that there no cracks in the foundation of the house and anywhere else. Any cracks should be sealed to block any potential entry points.
- Ensure your gutters and downspouts are clean and repair them if necessary. Wet leaves provide moisture that attracts termites.
- In case you have firewood, store it at a high place off the ground and ensure it is away from your home.
- Ensure old tree stumps are removed, and the same applies to any roots. They will become shelters for termites.
- Ensure there is no direct contact between wood and soil. There should be a gap between the wood and soil to reduce the chances of termites reaching the wood. The idea; distance should be 18-inches.
- Trees and shrubs cannot be planted close to the house. Those that are around the house should be trimmed to prevent them from getting in contact with your home. Having them in contact with your home will give them a greater chance of having access to your home.
- Bare wood attracts termites. To prevent termites from accessing the wood, you should ensure that the wood is painted. The paint acts as a barrier between dry wood and termites.
To ensure that your house is not infested with termites, you should hire professional termite inspectors who will check for any signs of infestation. Homes should be examined at least every three years. In the case of an infestation, take the necessary measures as soon as possible to prevent expensive repairs and treatments.
If your home is infested, the exterminator will check for any signs of infestation and find where the colony is establishing themselves. Afterward, they will assess the amount of damage and recommend a treatment method that is suitable to your needs.
Termites are capable of causing a lot of damage if left to establish their colony. However, instead of waiting until it is too late, you should take these measures and prevent them from coming into our home. Only under infestation are you supposed to call an exterminator to get rid of any colonies.