There are many kinds of insects. Most are considered harmless while others are known to sting. Stinging insects use stingers that were initially used for laying eggs. In most insects, they are found in females while in arthropods, they can be found in both males and females. Stingers are delivered for either defense or to paralyze prey. Every year, thousands of people are treated for insect stings. These insects are mainly active during summer and spring. There is a need for people to be informed about the types of stinging insects and how to prevent them.
Common types of stinging insects include bees, wasps, mosquitoes, stinging caterpillars, and other insects. These insects are commonly seen during warm seasons and care should be taken to prevent one from being attacked. Other examples of stinging insects include spiders and scorpions even though they are not considered to be true insects because they are arthropods.
Stinging insects usually have venom in their stingers. Depending on the kind of insect, one can have a mild or adverse reaction. Some of these insects have venom that is deadly to humans. These include scorpions and spiders. Other insects may have little amounts of venom in their system but can still cause serious damage when they attack in large numbers. It is not unusual to hear that a person has been stung to death by bees and wasps. There are protective measures in place that can be taken to prevent this from happening:
- Hire trained professionals to inspect and destroy any hives and nests that in and around the home. Trying to get rid of them might be catastrophic, and you might end up getting hurt.
- To prevent mosquitoes from attacking you, cover any standing water and take care of any potential breeding grounds. You can keep the grass short and ensure that nearby bushes are trimmed. Any standing water on the ground should be drained to ensure they do not have any place to breed.
- Keep your trash cans covered and sealed.
- If you are dining outside, food should be covered until it is time to eat.
- Stinging insects mainly deliver their sting when they feel threatened. When faced by one, ensure you remain calm and avoid swinging at it. It will probably go on its own, but if you provoke it, you will guarantee an attack.
- To prevent bees from attacking you, avoid bright floral clothes and sweet smelling perfumes since they will confuse it for actual flowers.
- If you happen to get attacked and stung by a spider or scorpion, do not hesitate to seek medical attention since they are considered dangerous.
Everyone is bound to interact with stinging insects more than once in their lives. It is important to know how they can handle themselves to prevent any unnecessary attacks. When a nest or hive has been identified, it is important to ensure that you contact a professional to get rid of it.